Dogs love a yard salad. They can often be found munching away quietly on your lawn. Moments later they can be found puking it back up on your carpet. But don’t worry, about the dog anyway. In most cases, Fido is fine.
Why do they eat it?
- Low-level vitamin deficiency
- Common stomach upset
- It tastes good
When should you worry?
- If vomiting is accompanied by other symptoms such as lethargy, diarrhea, or weight loss
- If you see blood or foreign material
- If your dog is still a puppy the grass can cause blockages
- If grass has been chemically treated
This is not a comprehensive list, so continue your own research regarding the types of grass found in your area, and canine medical conditions. The bullet points here are courtesy of the AKC ‘s web page .
“But how do I get it out of my carpet?”
There are many cleaners on the market, but I use OUT! brand pet stain remover.
It works on human and pet messes, smells like vanilla, isn’t harsh, has never bleached my fabrics, and kills odor enzymes (not a paid plug). You can buy it here.
According to a friend who called me for help one night after a bout of designated driving, it did a great job of cleaning her passenger’s surprise deposit out of the backseat.